Freedom or Totalitarianism

Freedom or Totalitarianism
Liberty or Death

Friday, June 1, 2012

Liberty Pen: Harry Browne- 'Defining Morality'

Source:Liberty Pen- 1996 and 2000 Libertarian Party presidential nominee Harry Browne in 2002.

"Harry Browne lectures from his masterpiece book, "How I Found Freedom In An Unfree World." Liberty Pen." 

From Liberty Pen 

Morality: "Principles concerning the distinction between right and wrong or good and bad behavior." 

If you want my definition of morality, I'll give it to you anyway: morality I believe the code of conduct that governs how we treat each other. People who are raised right or are simply born with good character don't hurt others intentionally, other than in self-defense or to protect an innocent person from being hurt. And good, moral people don't hurt innocent people intentionally. And when we do hurt innocent people (intentionally or otherwise) there are legal and civil consequences that come from our bad behavior. 

I personally view my politics as liberal, but if you want to describe me as classical liberal, that's your right. But I believe Americans have the right to live their own lives exactly the way they want to, short of hurting any innocent person with what they're doing. That's what I have in common with Libertarians like the Harry Browne's and others. 

I don't believe people should be fined or put in jail simply for hurting themselves or doing something that violates someone else's religious or cultural values. But if we choose to hurt any innocent person or hurt innocent people simply by being irresponsible, there should be legal and perhaps civil consequences for our bad behavior. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments that are not personal, don't have spam, and aren't personal in nature, that are relevant to the post, are welcome at FreeState Now. Everything else will be marked as spam.